Division of Thoracic Surgery at The Ottawa Hospital believes in:
- Providing optimal care for the people of Eastern Ontario
- Ensuring proper training of the future thoracic surgeons to serve the needs of people in Canada
- Continuing education of thoracic surgeons
- Maintaining a high academic standard by regular audits, education and research
- Recruiting and retaining specialists in Thoracic Surgery in Canada
Commitment to Collaboration
The General Thoracic Surgery Program at The Ottawa Hospital has long recognized the importance of strong collaboration for the provision of the highest quality care. These collaborative networks are both multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary.
The multidisciplinary focus on patient care involves input from the following medical teams: Medical and Radiation Oncology, Chest Radiology, Thoracic Anesthesia, Thoracic Pathology, Acute Pain Service, Otolaryngology, Pulmonary Medicine, Gastroenterology and Critical Care Medicine.
Smooth and seamless interdisciplinary collaboration on the inpatient unit of the Chest Diseases Centre involves specialized thoracic nurses all along with a team of allied health-care personnel, including Physical and Occupational Therapy, Dietitian, Respiratory Therapy, Social Work, Pharmacist, and Home Nursing Liaison.
This high level of collaboration has not only resulted in improved clinical care, but has also enhanced the education of thoracic surgery residents and fellows, as well as facilitating superior clinical research.
Last updated on: November 28th, 2016