Patient Safety is a priority at The Ottawa Hospital. It is one of four quadrants that make up our Quality Framework:
- Appropriate (effective and efficient)
As a leader in patient safety, The Ottawa Hospital strives to create a Patient Safety Culture that features:
- Acknowledgement of the high risk and error-prone nature of health care activities
- A blame free environment where individuals are able to report errors and close calls without fear of reprimand or punishment
- An expectation of collaboration to seek solutions and create action plans
- A willingness on the part of the organization to divert resources for addressing safety concerns
Centre for Patient Safety
The Ottawa Hospital is home to The Centre for Patient Safety, a ‘virtual’ centre created in 2005 to guide TOH to provide the safest patient care through nationally recognized research, education, and evaluation methods.
The Centre is a result of a strong collective commitment from clinicians and renowned researchers at our hospital and our research arm, the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute to improve the safety of patient care at the hospital.