When you arrive to have your baby, you will finish your registration. Bring your valid Ontario Health Insurance Card and information on any other health insurance you have.
If you do not have Ontario Health Insurance, we will connect you to the finance department to discuss payment options.
Scheduled Caesarean Birth
If you are having a scheduled caesarean birth, your surgery date will be booked ahead by your doctor. You will be admitted to the hospital the day of your baby’s birth. Your doctor will talk to you about the details of your admission.
Parking at The Ottawa Hospital
You have to pay for parking in Hospital parking lots. You can buy parking passes if you are staying for longer than 3 days.
Where to Park:
- Civic Campus: You can park in the multi-level parking garage (P1), the Emergency Department parking lot, or the Ruskin Street Parking lot.
- After 11:00 p.m., enter the hospital through the Emergency Department doors.
- General Campus: You can park in the multi-level parking garage.
- After 11:30 p.m., enter the hospital through the Emergency Department doors.
- Civic Campus: You can buy monthly and weekly passes at the Parking Garage.
- General Campus: You can buy monthly or weekly passes at the information desk in the main lobby.
What to bring with you
As closet space is limited, please bring only a few items for your personal use:
- Underwear – including supportive bra
- Non-slip footwear
- Toiletries (toothpaste, tooth brush, deodorant, soap, shampoo, comb, hairbrush, etc.)
- Sanitary Pads one package (maxi)
- Breast pads if breastfeeding
- Baby wipes
- Car seat
You may bring
- Electric hair dryer or curling iron under 800 watts
- Your lap top or other small computer. It cannot be plugged into the hospital’s network or phone line, but you can access our Wi-Fi network
- Your own pillow(s)
- If you are donating your baby’s cord blood to the national public Cord Blood Bank, please remember to pack your signed Permission to Collect consent form.
Please do not bring:
- Valuables (including jewellery)
- Large sums of money
Last updated on: September 27th, 2019