The Ottawa Hospital Pain Clinic serves the needs of adult patients in the Ottawa Champlain LHIN (Local Health Integration Network) living with chronic pain.
Chronic pain is defined as “pain lasting longer than three months OR pain persisting beyond the reasonable amount of time for an injury to heal”.
The Pain Clinic offers consultative services for the diagnosis and management of chronic pain disorders. We strive to improve patients’ quality of life by decreasing pain, improving their functional ability and self-management skills. We do this in the following ways:
- Group sessions
- eConsult with referring physician
- Medical appointment in clinic
- Pharmacological recommendations
- Interventional Pain procedures
- Consultation and referral to our interdisciplinary team which includes:
After optimization of a patient’s pain and functional ability has been achieved, the patient will be discharged from the pain clinic and care will be returned to their family physician.
Our team is composed of pain medicine specialists, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, clerical staff and radiology technicians.
Our program of care now includes an information Session followed by a 2.5 hour Education Session. We strongly encourage all patients who wish to receive care in TOHPC to attend the sessions (some exceptions are made for patients with extraordinary circumstances e.g.: those with significant mobility challenges/impairment, long travel distance, language barrier, etc.) as it allows them to learn about the type of care provided by our clinic and an opportunity to provide us with additional details of their pain and health history. The sessions are delivered by our team of healthcare professionals and cover best practices in pain management, clarify expectations, and provide strategies for self-management.
- Information Session (1 hour)
*** Please complete these forms prior to the Information Session
- Triage by pain team
- Recommendation to family physician to open eConsult referral*
- Recommendation for a Pain Clinic assessment**
- Education session (2.5 hours)
- Discharge back to family physician
* eConsult is a secure, web-based platform that allows TOHPC physicians to provide management advice within seven days. Please note that an appointment for this patient may still be recommended by one of our physicians upon completion of the eConsult. To sign up for eConsult, or for any questions regarding this service, please contact email@example.com and reference “pain medicine” in the subject line.
** If you are triaged to the Pain Clinic assessment, you will meet with our team of nurses and a pain medicine specialist. A treatment plan will be established that may include referral to our interdisciplinary team members, pharmacological recommendations and/or interventions.
Making an Appointment
Any licensed physician can refer a patient to the Pain Clinic for assessment. Please make sure to complete the following form, and return it to us by fax 613. 739.6296. Once the referral is received, patients will be contacted to attend our 1 hour patient information session.
Patients scheduled for an appointment at the Pain Clinic should bring a list of all Current and Past medications (dosages included), pharmacy coordinates, and a copy of their most recent imaging studies.
Please note that a physician referral is needed prior to initial assessment.
Hours: Monday to Friday 7:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Cancellation and No-Show policy
Cancellation of New Consultation appointments
We require advance notice of at least seven business days if a New Consultation appointment is cancelled or a request is made to have the New Consultation appointment re-booked. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in no further appointment at TOHPC unless a new referral is submitted by the referring physician. The new referral will be triaged according to current criteria and placed in a new position on the wait list.
Cancellation of Follow-up appointments
We require advance notice of at least two business days if a follow-up appointment is cancelled or a request is made to have the follow up appointment re-booked.
Recurrent cancellations or requests to re-book appointments with notice less than two business days (i.e.: greater than 2 appointments per 12-month period or two consecutive appointments) will result in no further appointments at TOHPC. A new referral must be submitted by a referring physician in order for the patient to be seen again at TOHPC. The new referral will be triaged according to current criteria and placed in a new position on the wait list.
- TOH Pain Clinic – Referral Form
- Patient Intake Questionnaire
- Brief Pain Inventory (Please complete this form before your next appointment)
- Patient Questionnaire (Please complete this form before your next appointment)
- Referral Indicators Social Work – Occupational Therapy – Physiotherapy – Psychology
- Mindfulness Resources
- Parking at the Ottawa Hospital
Pain Clinic Calendar
*Please note. Groups and workshops are for TOH Pain Clinic patients only. You may also consider https://www.livinghealthychamplain.ca/