Why do we collect your personal health information?
At The Ottawa Hospital we collect information about our patients so that you can be accurately identified each time you visit the hospital. Information about the type of tests or procedures you have during your visit is also collected and included in your chart.
Personal health information that is collected is only available to hospital staff who are involved in your care either directly (such as physicians, nurses, technologists, technicians, therapists and other health professionals), or in a supporting role such as Health Records and Financial Services.
Your personal health information may also be used for the following purposes:
- To quickly and accurately identify your health record each time you visit the hospital.
- To provide you with the most effective and appropriate health services or treatment(s). Your visit to the hospital may include assessments of your health condition, surgical and medical procedures and other treatments. All of this information is recorded in your health record and made available to those involved in your care, including health-care providers, who are partners in your care. The Ottawa Hospital keeps the history of your health information, so that your caregivers have a complete summary of your health status.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements. For example, we collect your health insurance number because it is required for the processing and funding of health-care services.
- To improve the quality and efficiency with which we provide health-care services.
- To facilitate leading edge research at The Ottawa Hospital and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. Researchers working on studies approved by The Ottawa Hospital Research Ethics Board may have access to health information, provided that privacy and confidentiality issues have been addressed with you.
- To support the hospital’s educational activities through our partnership with the University of Ottawa. Health information is available for teaching purposes, provided that measures are taken at The Ottawa Hospital to adequately protect your privacy and confidentiality.