If you have been advised by your doctor that you need to see a surgeon, the ‘my Surgery’ website is the place to start so patients and families can prepare early. Whether you need surgery or not, there is still important information on this website that may help you improve your health.
The Ottawa Hospital Surgical Team
Our specialized team of surgeons, anesthesiologists, residents, nurses and health professionals care for patients who are having surgery at the Civic, General or Riverside Campus of The Ottawa Hospital.
What can I do to improve my health before surgery?
To reduce many risks after surgery, our surgical team recommends that you take advantage of improving your health before (and after) surgery.
- Since everyone is different, you should discuss your unique health plan with your family doctor (or a health-care professional) first to see what you can do to improve your health before surgery.
- If you have a family doctor, make sure you have had a check up within the last year.
- Stop smoking or get help to stop smoking (see links below).
Resources that may help you:
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Heart Healthy Living
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Risk Factors
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: How Smoking Affects your Heart
Last updated on: June 20th, 2017