Director, Independent Health Facility (IHF) Hemodialysis Unit
Dr. Steven Nadler is Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology at The Ottawa Hospital and the University of Ottawa. His major clinical interest is in hemodialysis, and he is director of the Independent Health Facility (IHF) hemodialysis units in Ottawa and Cornwall.
Dr. Nadler received his Bachelor of Science in Mathematics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and M.D.C.M. from McGill University, where he also completed Internal Medicine and Nephrology Residency. He spent four years as a research fellow at Harvard University, and then joined the Department of Medicine in Ottawa in 1986.
He spent 10 years as a basic scientist, with an interest in regulation of renal collecting duct salt and water transport, supported by the Medical Research Council of Canada and the Kidney Foundation of Canada.
He has developed expertise in Medical Education, developed new undergraduate nephrology curricula, won awards for teaching, and chaired the Canadian Society of Nephrology Education Committee for 8 years. Other professional activities have included prior membership on the Department of Medicine Finance Committee and on the executive of the Ontario Association of Nephrologists. He recently completed two years in the Faculty’s Distinguished Teacher Program (DTP).
He is now slowly winding down his medical career. He continues to teach, and provide clinical care only in divisional clinical programs, having recently closed his own Nephrology practice.
- Hemodialysis and related kinetics
- Disorders of water balance
- Clinical database use in hemodialysis
Research Interests (no longer active)
- Previous work utilized isolated perfused tubule techniques to study cell mechanisms involved in regulation of water transport in collecting duct.
- Local involvement with post-graduate nephrology teaching. During his tenure in the DTP program, he had opportunities to be a “non-expert” teacher in Endocrinology, Respirology, and also taught interviewing and physical diagnosis skills.
- Search PubMed for Nadler SP
Last updated on: August 8th, 2017