At this time we are unable to schedule consultations and/or treatment due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. This is in compliance with orders from the Government of Ontario that only emergency dental services be rendered at this time. We will continue to see all new patient referrals prior to:
- head and neck radiation
- cardiovascular surgery
- certain patients prior to chemotherapy
Patients with true dental emergencies will be triaged and continue to be seen based on need. If you feel that your patient does meet the above criteria or has a dental emergency, please contact the clinic Supervisor, Siobhan Little, to discuss further.
The Ottawa Hospital Dental Clinic operates on a ‘by-referral only’ basis and does not provide emergency walk-in service. As a hospital dental clinic our mandate is to provide maxillofacial and dental services to hospital inpatients and medically compromised outpatients who could otherwise not be seen safely in a community dental practice.
Our clinic provides essential dental services for patients from a number of the Ottawa Hospital’s strategic programs, such as the Heart Institute, The Cancer Centre, and Nephrology patients awaiting transplant surgery.
As the Ottawa Hospital Dental Clinic endeavors to streamline the referral process for medically compromised patients requiring a hospital setting for their dental care, the following information is now required before a referral is accepted for triage:
- A referral letter detailing the patient’s contact information, insurance information, the specific dental concern and the medical justification for requiring a hospital setting (see eligibility criteria below)
- A current list of all patient medications
- Any and all x-rays taken within the previous 12-month period
Please note the Ottawa Hospital Dental Clinic is currently in the process of revising our consultation request form, however copies of our previous referral form will still be accepted if sent in conjunction with the above stated requirements
The following is a list of general guidelines to assist in determining eligibility for patient referrals to the hospital dental clinic.
The Ottawa Hospital Dental Clinic currently accepts patients who are; Adults 18 years of age and older who:
- have complex physical, cognitive, or mental challenges
- have severe developmental disabilities
- are medically-compromised requiring a hospital setting for their dental care, including but not limited to:
- Pre & post-radiation patients of Head and Neck Oncology
- Complex cardiac disease (pre and post-surgical)
- Bleeding disorders
- Uncontrolled seizures
- Recent myocardial infarction (within 6 months post MI)
- Kidney disease resulting in impaired renal function (ie: Dialysis, awaiting transplant)
- Complex craniofacial anomalies
- Neurological and neuromuscular disorders (cerebral palsy, cerebrovascular trauma, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy)
- Severe Alzheimer’s Disease and/or dementia
- Osteoradionecrosis and medication-related osteonecrosis
- Severe dental phobia which cannot otherwise be controlled with Oral or IV sedation.
The following conditions are generally not accepted as medically requiring a hospital setting:
- Patients insured through ODSP without an accompanying medical condition as defined above
- Dental Anxiety
- Hepatitis (unless medical documentation provided with a diagnosis of advanced liver dysfunction)
- Latex allergy
- Visual or auditory impairment
- HIV (unless medical documentation provided illustrating detectable viral load or immunosuppression)
- Metabolic disorders
- Financial reasons
Please be advised that the above lists are to be used as guidelines only when referring your patient to the Ottawa Hospital Dental Clinic. All referrals, regardless of condition will be reviewed by our team of specialists, with those patients who are medically compromised and having dental infection that may become life threating will be seen first.
Dental Clinic, B-Main, Civic Campus
1053 Carling Ave
Contact for General Inquiries: 613-761-4084; fax: 613-761-5134
Please note that this email address is only to be used by dental offices to send x-ray results for their referred patients.
Last updated on: April 9th, 2020