As closet space is limited, please bring only a few items for your personal use:
- Pajamas or a nightgown (the hospital provides blue patient gowns)
- Dressing gown, slippers and underwear
- Toiletries such as a comb, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, shampoo, shaving kit, etc.
- Miscellaneous items such as eyeglasses and hearing aids.
You may bring:
- Battery-operated equipment, such as a razor, lamps, and radios (with earphones)
- Electric hairdryers (less than 800 watts) or curling irons are permitted but you should not use them while in bed or alone in the room.
- A small amount of money for personal needs such as newspapers, television rentals, etc.
Please do not bring:
- Butane (or other gas-powered equipment) and electrical appliances
- Jewellery – you will be asked to remove all jewellery including rings, chains, body piercings, etc.
- Adapters, chargers and cellular phones
- Appliances such as coffee makers, fans, humidifiers, electrical hairdryers that use more than 800 watts, electric blankets, portable heaters, personal TVs, or FAX machines
- Any device where the plugs have been altered (ground prong removed) or damaged
- Large sums of money, credit cards or valuable papers. If this is not possible, safety deposit boxes are available through Security.
If you have brought medication (including prescription drugs, over the counter drugs and herbal products) that you are currently taking on a regular basis, please give it to the nurse or physician who admits you. A relative or friend may then return your medication to your home. If this is not possible, the medication will be kept for you until you leave the hospital. Remember to ask for your medication when you are informed of your discharge. Unless directed by your physician, pharmacist or nurse, do not take any of your own medication while in hospital.
Please note, The Ottawa Hospital is not responsible if your valuables are lost or stolen. Patients are encouraged to leave their personal electronics/devices at home or with family and friends for safe keeping. You can use a safety deposit box in our Security Office to keep your valuables safe while you are in the Hospital. Please call the Security office, or ask a member of your Circle of Care.
Telephone : 613-761-4888
Telephone : 613-737-8899 ext. 72003
Last updated on: November 16th, 2016