Your admission to The Ottawa Hospital has been arranged at the request of your physician who has privileges at The Ottawa Hospital. If your admission date has been set in advance, your physician will provide you with specific instructions in preparation for your admission.
There is a small possibility that your scheduled surgical procedure may be cancelled the day of the surgery due to emergency surgery cases or the lack of beds because of an increase in the number of patients requiring care within The Ottawa Hospital. If your procedure is cancelled you will be notified by your physician or his/her delegate. We will do our very best to reschedule your surgical procedure as soon as possible.
If your name is on the urgent waiting list, no specific admitting date will be given. You will be contacted by the hospital as soon as a bed is available and admitted the same day or the next day if you need to make special arrangements before coming to the hospital.
For more information…
- Civic Campus: call your physician or the Admitting Department at 613-798-5555 ext.13599.
- General Campus: call the Patient Relations Centre at 613-737-8899 ext. 78200.
Confirmation of admission
1. If you are being admitted on the day of your surgery:
- Civic Campus – Please call the Pre-Admission Unit to confirm the time of your arrival for surgery. Call 613-761-4602 between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. only the day before your surgery. You will be asked to arrive 2-4 hours before your scheduled surgery time.
- General Campus – The day before your surgery, between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., you will be called by the Admitting Department to confirm your admission time. Please call us at 613-737-8200 if you have not been reached by 7:00 p.m.
2. If your surgery is scheduled for the day after you have been admitted:
- Civic Campus: Please call the Admitting/Booking Department 613-761-4335 between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on the day of your admission to confirm the bed availability.
- General Campus: The Admitting Department will call you the morning of your admission to confirm your admission and arrival time. Please call 613-737-8200 if your admission has not been confirmed by 1:00 p.m.
- Provincial health insurance card
- Your green card from The Ottawa Hospital – General Campus only (If this is your first visit to the General Campus, a green card will be issued upon admission)
- Your personal insurance policy or your spouse’s that covers additional costs, such as private or semi-private rooms. The policy information required: policy/class/level, the address and the telephone number of the insurance company (not required if already provided when you pre-registered)
- For work-related accidents, your Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) file number plus some information regarding your accident
- A credit card number; please note that before adding charges to your credit card for uninsured services, your insurance company and yourself will be billed first; billing the credit card is the last recourse and it is only done with your consent.
If you have prepared a document naming someone to speak on your behalf should you be unable to do so, or have a living will or an advance directive, please inform a member of your health-care team as soon as possible after your admission.
Your Arrival At The Hospital
Please report to the area indicated by your physician or by a member of the hospital staff. If you are pregnant and in labour, please go directly to the labour and delivery room.
Your physician will try to notify you a day in advance of your discharge from the hospital. Please respect the 10:00 a.m. departure time for discharge from the hospital.
Last updated on: November 16th, 2016