What can I do to prepare for my surgery?
You will need to read and follow the instructions given to you by your surgical team.
My Surgery Patient Education Booklets
The length of time you will be admitted to hospital is decided by your surgical team and may include one of the following hospital admission types Please read and follow all of the special instructions that apply to your situation and when you are expected to go home.
- Day Surgery: You will have surgery and go home (discharged) on the same day of surgery. See Planning for my Outpatient Day Surgery – Surgical Day Care Unit.
- Overnight Surgery: You will have surgery and go home (discharged) the following day after your surgery by 7:00 a.m. See Planning for my Overnight Surgery – Surgical Day Care (overnight) Unit.
- Same Day Admission: You will have surgery and go home (discharged) more than 24 hours after your surgery. See Planning for my Inpatient Surgery – Same Day Admission.
What are some of the important things that are included in the my Surgery patient education books?
- Things I must remember?
- Time of my surgery?
- What to do the evening before surgery?
- What to do the morning of Surgery?
- What I can and cannot eat before surgery?
- What medications to take, not to take or bring with me on the day of surgery?
- Directions and maps
- When to arrive and what to expect on the day of surgery?
- Who must bring me home after my outpatient day surgery?
- Going home after surgery – my discharge
Resources that may help you:
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Heart Healthy Living
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: Risk Factors
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute: How Smoking Affects your Heart
- Preparing NOW for Going Home
Last updated on: March 7th, 2018