There are many causes of kidney disease, which represents a growing health-care problem in Canada. The two main causes of kidney disease in Canada are diabetes and high blood pressure.
Other common causes include:
- vascular disease which is a hardening of the arteries
- glomerulonephritis, the inflammation of the kidney filtering units
- polycystic kidney disease (cysts in the kidney)
- drug-induced kidney failure
- pyelonephritis which is an infection in the kidney
- blockage of the flow of urine , also called a urinary tract obstruction
- other rare genetic diseases
Stages of Kidney Disease
|Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4||Stage 5 (end stage)|
|Increased fatigue Nausea
Shortness of breath
|Treatment||Identify cause, try to reverse it or minimize kidney damage||Monitor creatinine, blood pressure, blood sugar||Teach patient about disease and treatment options||Plan & create access for dialysis &/or start workup for transplant||Start renal replacement therapy-dialysis transplantation|
Kidney Failure is when the kidney can no longer filter blood properly, and toxic waste products and fluid build up in the blood.
Last updated on: January 20th, 2017