The Department of Ophthalmology of the Ottawa Hospital will provide patient-centred, comprehensive and exemplary vision and eye care services, education and research. The Department will be dedicated to improving and promoting advances in the investigation, treatment and prevention of disorders and diseases of the eye and visual system.
In pursuing its vision the department will allocate its resources to provide:
- Comprehensive and complex, high quality, patient-focused vision and eye-care services for the community and complex eye-care services for the residents of Eastern and Northeastern Ontario;
- Education, teaching and the promotion of life long learning of a wide range of eye-care professionals and providers in partnership with the University of Ottawa, other universities, community colleges, technical associations and societies, and community agencies;
- Nationally and internationally recognized basic and applied research on the eye and visual system with emphasis on those vision and eye diseases of major public health concern.
The vision and mission will be achieved through application of core values whereby the Department of Ophthalmology will:
- Keep its patients’ health, vision, quality of life and well-being central to all of their efforts;
- Respect the rights and wishes of all patients to make informed decisions regarding their care, treatment options and their willingness to participate in education and research ;
- Value, support, and respect its staff and commit to its continued development within an environment of continuous quality improvement;
- Encourage excellence, innovation, and active voluntary participation in all its educational, research, and patient care pursuits;
- Recognize, appreciate, and depend on the valued contributions and support of all its donors and volunteers;
- Commit to collaboration, co-operation, and non-competition to achieve accountability, efficiency and financial responsibility in the delivery of its services, allocation of its resources and maintenance of its state-of-the-art facilities.