Executive Compensation and Performance Management
The Ottawa Hospital has a rigorous performance-management program for all of its employees, including its executives.
Every year, each member of the executive team, including the CEO and Chief of Staff, is evaluated based on his or her ability to meet objectives on a wide range of performance goals, which are established by the hospital’s Board of Governors. A quarterly review of each executive’s performance is done and compensation is adjusted accordingly.
The Role of the Board of Governors
The CEO and Chief of Staff are directly accountable to the hospital’s Board of Governors.
Every year, a Board committee determines the total compensation of the CEO and Chief of Staff by evaluating their performance against the objectives outlined in the hospital’s stated goals.
The Governance Committee then brings its performance evaluations and compensation recommendations to the full Board for approval.
The Role of the CEO
All members of the executive team, except for the Chief of Staff, are directly accountable to the CEO, who determines each executive’s total annual compensation.
Every year, each executive is evaluated based on his or her ability to meet targets on the performance indicators established by the board. Each executive is also accountable for meeting a set of individual objectives.
The performance evaluations of each executive are based on:
- Performance Management: The annual performance of each executive is measured against leadership competencies and annual goals.
- Professional Development: Each executive must identify annual opportunities for growth and performance improvement.
- Performance Goals: Each executive must set annual goals that include:
- objectives under The Ottawa Hospital’s Quality Improvement Plan
- individual goals related to the executive’s portfolio of responsibilities.
Compensation for the executive team is determined based on the performance metrics above. In addition, the Board’s Governance Committee conducts periodic reviews of executive salaries and benefits at Ontario hospitals of similar size and mandate to The Ottawa Hospital. A third-party consultant is engaged to conduct the review.