TOHRC provides inpatient and outpatient services, assessing and treating those who have such impairments as amputations, spinal cord injuries, acquired brain injuries and major strokes, lung disease, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain and communication disorders.
Ultimately, TOHRC helps patients to maximize their independence, to re-adapt and to rebuild their lives.
The Ottawa Hospital (TOH) will provide each patient with the world-class care, exceptional service and compassion that we would want for our loved ones.
- The Ottawa Hospital is a compassionate provider of patient-centred health services with an emphasis on tertiary-level and specialty care, primarily for residents of eastern Ontario.
- The Ottawa Hospital provides a wide variety of educational opportunities across all health-care disciplines in partnership with the University of Ottawa and other affiliated universities, community colleges and training organizations.
- The Ottawa Hospital develops, shares and applies new knowledge and technology in the delivery of patient care through nationally and internationally recognized research programs in partnership with the Ottawa Health Research Institute (OHRI).
- The Ottawa Hospital plays an active role in promoting and improving health within our community. We collaborate with a wide range of partners to address the needs of the community and to build a strong, integrated system for regional health-care delivery.
- The Ottawa Hospital functions in English and French while striving to meet the needs of the culturally diverse community we serve.
Our Core Values
- Commitment to quality
- Working together
- Respect for the individual
Our Rehabilitation Philosophy
TOHRC is dedicated to providing innovative care focused on the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of patients. Our team prides itself on treating its patients with dignity and respect in an environment that fosters health and wellness.
TOHRC is about people helping other people to maximize their independence and adapt and rebuild their lives.
- Inpatient services are provided for people requiring intensive interdisciplinary rehabilitation. Family conferences provide you and your family with an opportunity to review goals, discuss progress and discharge issues. A trial admission may be offered to patients whose potential to participate in an active rehabilitation program is uncertain.
- Upon discharge, you may continue therapy as an outpatient. This service is time limited and related to attaining specific, achievable goals.
- Outpatient and outreach services link with community organizations and agencies to help ensure patients continue to maintain an optimal level of function and independence. Patients may be referred to a community service while receiving treatment at TOHRC, or this link may be made as part of the discharge-planning process.
We strive to work with you and provide you with the tools to achieve optimal function. We count on you to participate actively in your care and, as such, welcome your ideas to assist us in helping you. Family and others are also provided with the opportunity to participate in your rehabilitation program, with your approval.
Remember, the most important member of the rehabilitation team is YOU.
Your admission to TOHRC has been arranged at the request of your physician. A referral is required to be assessed and to enter our treatment programs.
Each patient awaiting inpatient admission undergoes an assessment by a rehabilitation nurse or rehabilitation physician to determine if the unit can help with their needs and attainment of rehabilitation goals Your rehabilitation physician will provide you with specific instructions in preparation for your inpatient stay.
If your name is on the waiting list for either inpatient or outpatient services, TOHRC will contact you as soon as a bed or space is available and an admission date will be set.
If you have any questions regarding your admission to The Ottawa Hospital Rehabilitation Centre, please contact your rehabilitation physician or the Admitting Department at 613-737-7350 ext. 75508.
Last updated on: June 20th, 2017