Welcome to the Department of Ophthalmology at The Ottawa Hospital. We provide comprehensive medical, surgical and emergency eye care services to the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton and tertiary eye care services to communities in Eastern and Northern Ontario, Baffin Island and Western Quebec.
With the dedication of our staff, The Ottawa Hospital Department of Ophthalmology is an Academic Health Science Centre with two world class divisions: the Eye Care Centre and the University of Ottawa Eye Institute.
History and Overview
The Eye Care Centre at the Riverside Campus, is the amalgamation of the old ophthalmology departments from the Queensway-Carleton, Grace, Riverside and Ottawa Civic Hospitals that existed before hospital restructuring. The new state-of-the-art facility houses the highest volume of outpatient eye surgical facility in Canada performing 9,000 cataract operations and 2,000 retina, glaucoma, oculoplastic and trauma operations annually.
The University of Ottawa Eye Institute at the General Campus, is the premier vision treatment, diagnostic, teaching and research facility. This unique blend of comprehensive community and university ophthalmology at the Ottawa Hospital provides a regional program that is nationally and internationally recognized for excellence in both quality and efficiency in eye care services, research, education and teaching.
Ophthalmology has assumed a leadership position in regionalizing the delivery of eye care in Eastern Ontario and RMOC, including:
- Emergency coverage at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital which has NO department of ophthalmology
- Corneal Retrieval Program covering TOH, community and palliative care hospitals, CHEO, funeral homes, Ottawa Valley Hospitals
- “In-Community” consultation clinics by TOH in Renfrew, Pembroke, Almonte, Winchester, Kemptville, Carleton Place, Barry’s Bay, Arnprior, Smiths Falls, and Manotick.
- Baffin Island service agreement for surgery at the ECC
- Close affiliation with the Montfort ophthalmologists many with cross privileges.
Last updated on: December 15th, 2016