The Division of Neonatology at The Ottawa Hospital, welcomes you. We are part of the citywide Division of Neonatology consisting of members at CHEO and at The Ottawa Hospital.
Our 24-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the General Campus cares for extremely premature infants and our 17-bed Special Care Nursery at the Civic Campus cares for moderately premature infants. There are over 1300 admissions each year to both units.
We work in close collaboration with the level 3A CHEO Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, which is also a unit within the Division of Neonatology.
The Division’s goal is to provide a high standard of care for prematurely born infants and full-term newborns with medical complications. This goal is accomplished by our multidisciplinary approach that involves dieticians, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, pediatric subspecialists and social workers in addition to doctors and nurses.
We also maintain strong links with our obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine specialists to coordinate the best possible care for the expectant mother and her fetus.
- To promote excellence in the care of the extremely premature infant and moderately premature infant.
- To promote excellence in the care of the full term newborn with medical complications.
- To strengthen the Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Training Program.
- To promote a healthy academic environment and clinical research in the units.
- To ensure high quality and safe care of sick newborns in Ottawa and the surrounding region.