The implementation process is carried out on each individual unit in three phases over a period of approximately three months. The length of time is dependent on the number of issues or challenges that the unit has to address.
Phase One: Preparatory Phase and Baseline Research page
In this phase, Clinical Managers, Nurse Educators, and Directors meet to discuss concerns and issues with respect to the impact of the Model on the unit, and to establish an “advanced team” which will review the Guiding Principles of the Model. The study is initiated at this time.
Phase Two: Advanced Team and Communication to Unit
This process involves a review of the Guiding Principles and the development of an action plan for their implementation on each unit. This process of review includes discussion among the Clinical Manager, clinical nurses, the Nurse Educator, and a representative from the multidisciplinary team.
Phase Three: Implementation and Annual Evaluation
MoNCP© is considered implemented when the majority of the Guiding Principles are met and action plans are well on their way to completion. Each unit reviews the Guiding Principles annually to ensure sustainability. The research protocol is carried out one and two years after implementation.
Several tools have been developed to support the implementation of MoNCP.
For more information contact the team at 613-798-5555 ext. 14976.
Implementation at TOH
Three facilitators helped to implement MoNCP© in over 100 units at five different sites:
- General Campus
- Civic Campus
- Riverside Campus
- Rehabilitation Centre
- Cancer Centre
TOH MoNCP© has gained local, regional and national attention. Colleagues in other health-care organizations recognize the benefit of this unique organizational model of nursing care delivery and have partnered with The Ottawa Hospital Nursing Professional Practice Department to implement the Model in their institutions.
- Arnprior and District Memorial Hospital Corporation, Arnprior (Ontario)
- The Grove, Arnprior (Ontario)
- Bridgepoint Health, Toronto (Ontario)
- Centre hospitalier pour enfants de l’est de l’Ontario, Ottawa (Ontario)
- Cypress Health Region (Regional Hospital and Rural Health), (Saskatchewan)
- Hôpital Montfort, Ottawa (Ontario)
- Queensway Carleton Hospital, Ottawa (Ontario)
- Central Health, (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Eastern Health, (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Labrador Grenfell Health, (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Western Health, (Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Centre hospitalier universitaire Sainte-Justine, (Montréal, Québec)
If you and your organization are in interested in the model please contact the team at 613-798-5555 ext. 14976.