In a society where there is an abundance of food and an ability to carry out daily activities with little energy expenditure, weight gain will likely occur unless a conscious effort is made with regards to food choices and activity patterns.
The medical interventions we have at this time for treating obesity are limited such that permanent lifestyle changes remain central to effective treatment.
The medical program (CORE) is medically supervised and uses a 900-calorie meal replacement (Optifast®) on a 6 or 12-week basis depending on your needs. Our goal is to provide you with a safe and healthy obesity management program that uses Optifast® as a TOOL and emphasizes long-term lifestyle modifications for optimal health.
The CORE Program will help you:
- Identify and change patterns of behaviour that lead to weight gain
- Understand why it’s hard to change behaviours
- Be more aware of reasons why you eat other than hunger
- Implement skills in meal planning, portion control, and journaling
- Learn to incorporate fitness into your routine (Please note that we do not have an exercise facility on site)
- Problem solve around food, exercise, stress and time management
The CORE Program:
- Consists of 26 group sessions and 6 support-group sessions
- Requires a commitment of 3 hours per week for the 26 weekly sessions.
- Is facilitated by a Registered Dietitian, Social Worker/Behaviourist and Exercise Specialist
- Provides regular monitoring by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner specializing in Bariatric (Weight) Medicine
- Requires that patients have blood work and an electrocardiogram before beginning the Core Program. Blood work will be done periodically during the program and also at program completion.
- Monitors change in weight but also change in other measures of health such as blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol values
- Uses a medical meal replacement beverage (Optifast® 900) for 6 or 12 weeks
- Offers support groups for patients who have graduated from the Core Program for up to 6 months (these groups do not include medical supervision)
- Includes follow-up visits 6 months and 18 months after completion of the program
Last updated on: December 16th, 2016