This brief overview provides general information about our excellent employee benefits program. The eligibility requirements and plan coverage for the benefit plans listed below vary depending on the group you are working in.
Committed to our employees’ needs, The Ottawa Hospital offers:
- Extended Health Care
This plan provides partial reimbursement for supplementary health services such as: prescription drugs, semi-private hospital room, eye glasses/contact lenses, medical coverage while traveling out of the province and out of Canada etc
This plan provides for reimbursement of basic, restorative, and orthodontic services, subject to some maximums. Plan coverage will vary, subject to employee group eligibility criteria.
- Life Insurance
Life insurance benefits are offered through the hospital, equivalent to twice your annual salary.
Supplementary life and dependant life insurance is available at group rates.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Additional financial protection is offered to your family in the event of accidental death or dismemberment while you are an employee. This is in addition to any group life insurance benefit.
Sickness and Disability Benefits
- Sick Leave
Short term sick leave benefits are provided in the event of non-occupational illness or injury. The entitlement varies depending on the group.
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
Continuing income is provided in the event of total disability. This insurance is available for certain groups of permanent full-time employees.
- Hospitals of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
Both the employee and the hospital make contributions to the pension plan to provide you with income during your retirement years. Click here for more information.
- Unpaid pregnancy/parental leave will be granted for a period of up to a maximum of 52 weeks. An employee on pregnancy/parental leave who is in receipt of Employment Insurance benefits shall be paid a supplemental benefit up to a maximum period of 25 weeks. The amount of the supplemental benefit, the length of the leave and any other allowances during such leave are outlined in the applicable collective agreement or terms of reference/working conditions documents for management & non-unionized staff.
Vacation entitlement varies depending on the group.
Casual and part-time employees typically receive a percentage in lieu of vacation.
- Statutory Holidays
12 paid statutory holidays per year.
- Casual and part-time employees are offered a percentage in lieu of benefits, sick leave, vacation, and holidays.
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board
Full coverage is provided to employees for on-the-job injuries and illness.
- Jury Duty
Employees receive full pay when called for jury duty.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
An off-site, confidential, voluntary, short-term counselling program is provided for employees to deal with a range of personal, family, and workplace concerns. Click here for more information – WarrenShepell
- Long Service Awards
This award program recognizes service with the hospital. Gifts are presented to employees, at an annual ceremony, who have worked at the hospital for 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 years.
The above information outlines some of the benefits available to employees under the various plans. Details and specifics are outlined within the respective collective agreements and working conditions.